Sunday, October 10, 2010

Thanksgiving dinner

It's Thanksgiving today in Canada.  I stirred the pot a bit when I decided not to drive up to Edmonton to be with my sister's family and my parents today, and then bowed out of the local invites that I received from friends.  Instead, I stayed home and puttered about; and then made an untraditional Thanksgiving dinner.

A few weeks ago when the hard frosts were about to hit, I brought all the green tomatoes in and set them on the counter.  This, of course, led to them all riping at the same time, and I am left with a bushel of garden fresh tomatoes.  I went looking for a recipe to use some of them up and decided to try one that I got from a new cookbook that I recently bought - Quinoa 354 - the  Everyday Super Food.

Crustless Tomato & Basil Quiche
2/3 cup of water
1/3 cup of quinoa
4 large eggs
1/4 cup quinoa flour or white flour (I used white)
1 1/2 cups of diced tomatoes
1 cup of onions
1 tsp vegetable or olive oil
1 cup of shredded mozzarella (I used shredded marble, because that's what I had)
1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
2 Tbsp or fresh basil or 2 tsp dried flakes (I used dry, because that's what I had, and it was good.)
1/4 of milk or cream
salt & pepper to taste

Bring water and quinoa to a boil.  Lower heat to a simmer, cover and leave for 10 minutes.  Turn off heat, leave covered for 5 minutes.  Uncover and fluff with a fork.

In pan, sauté diced onion at medium with oil until translucent.  (The book said 10 minutes... I did about 5.)

Whisk eggs and flour together.  Mix all ingredients together well in a bowl, and pour into a 9" round baking pan and bake on the center rack for 50 minutes at 350F.   Serve with a fresh salad and enjoy.

Confessions:
I realized as I was getting everything ready and preheating the oven that spillage in the oven from earlier in the day was causing copious amounts of smoke (as in - smoke alarms were screeching ).   I turned off the oven, let it cool and cleaned it up before starting again.  I'd whisked the eggs with the flour, cooked the quinoa and the onions before that little interruption and I wonder if the delay contributed to how little the quiche rose.  (But I think it might be a good thing that the quinoa and the onions had a chance to cool first too.)

Another contribution towards the lack if height of the quiche could be that I forgot the milk.

Also, I baked it in my 11" stoneware dish.  That spread it out quite a bit and definitely impacted the height.  BUT, stoneware makes for a great texture.  I don't know if you could get such a crusty texture on the outside with such a moist center in a  metal pan.

Either way, I thought it turned out yummy.  I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

  1. CH and I usually spend Thanksgiving without family or friends. It is my favorite holiday and I like to hang around home and cocoon or if it is nice enough, spend it outside. So, I get you wanting to just be at home. CH loves quiche and doesn't care if anyBODY knows it, I am going to be trying your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only does the quiche sound good but a Thanksgiving without all the hub-bub sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a recipe I would enjoy - and leaving out an ingredient, done that a time or two or three...

    Good for you stirring the pot. I swear I'm the outcast in my family and it is starting to be quite nice not having to prepare for visits!!!

    ReplyDelete